(Turkish spinach and beef pastry)
For hors d’oeuvres, lunch or simple supper with salad
1 pound ground round
1 large white or sweet onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
1 bunch flat leaf parsley
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 lb frozen spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
2 scant teaspoons salt
1 scant teaspoon black pepper
1 package frozen puff pastry (Pillsbury or other brand)
½ cup all-purpose flour
1) Saute meat, add onions, salt and pepper, continue cooking until onions are translucent and juices mostly evaporated. Add spinach, saute until all are cooked. Cool.
2) Defrost puff pastry just enough to handle. Roll out one sheet enough to cover the bottom of a lightly greased 9×13 baking dish with about 2/3 inch excess all around.
3) Beat one egg, mix with meat and spinach along with crumbled feta cheese and chopped parsley. Spread filling evenly. Roll the second pastry sheet over the mixture and pinch together with the edges of the bottom sheet.
4) Beat second egg well with a spoonful of water, and brush over the top and edges.
5) Bake at 375° preheated oven until it all puffs up with a dark golden color. Be careful not to let it burn!
Volunteer Chef: Yasmine Scallan