Garden Vegetable Crustless Quiche
Makes 5 servings.
¾ cups egg substitute
¾ cup (3 oz) shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
¾ cup (3 oz) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
¼ cup 1% low-fat milk
¼ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 8-oz carton fat-free cottage cheese
2 cups sliced zucchini
1 cup diced potato with onion
½ cup finely chopped green bell pepper
4 oz pre-sliced mushrooms
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tomato, thinly sliced
1) Preheat oven to 400°
2) Beat egg substitute and eggs in a large bowl until fluffy. Add ½ cup cheddar cheese, ½ cup Jack cheese, milk, flour, baking powder, salt and cottage cheese.
3) Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat with cooking spray. Add zucchini and the next 3 ingredients; saute for 5 minutes or until tender.
4) Add the zucchini mixture and parsley to egg mixture. Pour into a 1.5 quart casserole dish coated with cooking spray
5) Top with the remaining ¼ cup cheddar cheese and ¼ cup of Jack cheese. Arrange tomato slices over cheese.
6) Bake at 400° for 15 minutes
7) Reduce oven temperature to 350°, and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned and set.
Note: substitute corn or spinach for some of the vegetables, if you wish
Volunteer Chef: Kaleda Walling