Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie
1 cup dried lentils (green or brown), or 2 cups cooked lentils
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
½ cup celery, sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
Olive Oil for sautéing
1 teaspoon mixed dried herbs (marjoram, thyme, basil, sage – your choice)
One 8-ounce can tomato sauce or one 15-ounce can tomatoes, chopped
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2-3 tablespoons chopped parsley
Salt and black pepper
4 medium potatoes, cooked and mashed
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
1. Cook potatoes and lentils (separately) by boiling them in water for 45 minutes. Drain.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sauté onion, carrots, celery and garlic in a little olive oil until softened.
3. Add herbs, tomatoes, soy sauce, lentils, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir.
4. Spoon mixture into a lightly oiled baking dish. Spread mashed potatoes evenly over the top, drawing a fork over the surface to make ridges. Sprinkle paprika and nutritional yeast flakes on top of potatoes.
5. Bake 45 minutes, until golden brown.
Volunteer Chef: Linda Lewin